Minister for Sport and Recreation
Football in Tasmania strong and united
Wednesday, 13th February 2019
The Hodgman Liberal Government is a strong supporter of football in Tasmania, and formed a working group last year to establish the Football Tasmania Board. The Board will be the voice for Tasmanian football and will work to unite and strengthen football in the State.
The Board will represent the interests of all footballers and supporters in the State and will comprise representatives from the three regional leagues, the junior leagues, the Tasmanian State League, AFL Tasmania, umpires associations, as well as the regional associations. The Board will work towards two primary goals: to grow grassroots football state-wide and to forge a pathway to a Tasmanian AFL and ALFW team.
After consulting with the working group, the Government has appointed Jim Wilkinson MLC, as the Board’s first independent Executive Chair. Mr Wilkinson will assume the role in June following his retirement from the Legislative Council in coming months and the board will be fully operational on the 1st of July this year.
In coming months, there will be a transitional period and the Government will work with Mr Wilkinson and the Board members elect to appoint an AFL Project Team, to develop the business case for a Tasmanian license. The project team will report to the State Government and the Football Tasmania Board.
We look forward to working with the new Football Tasmania Board to help secure Tasmania’s football future.
The members of the Football Tasmania Board include:
- Mr Jim Wilkinson, MLC, Independent Executive Chairperson
- Madeleine Ogilvie, President of the Southern Football League and Chair of the Tasmanian Football Council
- Scott Rigby, President of the Northern Tasmania Football Association
- Andrew Richardson, President of the North West Football League
- Andrew Buchhorn, Vice President of the North West Football League representing junior football
- Jim Horne, President of the Southern Tasmanian Junior Football League
- Paul House, President of the Northern Tasmania Junior Football Association
- Julie Kay, President of Lauderdale FC – representing the seven Tasmanian State League Clubs
- Trisha Squires, Chief Executive, AFL Tasmania
- Cameron Blizzard, President of the North West Umpires Association
- A representative from the North-West regional associations to be determined
- A representative from the Southern regional associations to be determined