Notice of Motion – Community Housing Limited (CHL) Scholarships
Minister for Human Services, the Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP
28 October, 2015
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
- The Hodgman Liberal Government is committed to achieving better community housing outcomes and partnerships.
- The Better Housing Futures program has seen around 4 000 public housing properties transferred to four community housing organisations in Tasmania, including Community Housing Limited (CHL) with 1 188 properties in the suburbs of Ravenswood, Waverley, Rocherlea, Mayfield and Mowbray.
- CHL has shown a strong commitment over the past 12 months to these communities and worked closely in engaging with them through community development programs including the Pioneer Parade Community Garden, Rocherlea Community Fun Day, Ravenswood Aus-Kick program and the Waverley Fishing Festival. Additionally CHL has delivered 3 traineeships to residents from BHF areas in tenancy management, upgraded smoke alarms and installed more than 120 heat pumps in these properties.
- On 24th October, CHL announced the Inaugural Community Housing Limited Tasmanian Scholarship Program, the objectives of which is to target 12-18-year olds in Better Housing Future suburbs to help create equity and access to opportunities to advance education, skills building, employment, health, wellbeing and social inclusion through fundraising and offering scholarships in the performing arts, sporting and educational areas that may have been financially unachievable otherwise.
- The four recipients of the inaugural scholarships are:
- Hamish Wooders
- Legana Hughes
- Sam Kopper
- Callum Harrison.
- These four young people have been given a chance to get closer to their future dreams because of Steve Bevington and his CHL team and also thank you to Ricky Ponting and Daniel Geale for adding their sporting horsepower and insights to this initiative.