Notice of Motion – World Autism Day 2016
Minister for Human Services, the Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP
5 April, 2016
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
(1) Saturday 2 April 2016 marked World Autism Day and that April 2016 is Autism Awareness Month.
(2) The prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) has increased dramatically, and is growing at a faster rate than any other disability.
(3) World Autism Day and Autism Awareness Month plays an important role in promoting the awareness and inclusion of people with ASD, while also providing opportunities to celebrate the many contributions people with ASD make to our community.
(4) Many organisations around Tasmania do wonderful work in providing education, support, advocacy and practical help to people living with ASD.
(5) A number of events are being held around Tasmania to celebrate Autism Awareness Month and I encourage people to participate in events.
(6) The Liberal Government is committed to improving support to those living with ASD through developing a long-term strategy to implement best practice care in Tasmania.