Notice of Motion – Candlelight Vigil to Remember Those Who Have Died From Domestic Violence
Minister for Women, the Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP
04 May, 2016
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
(1) Today, Wednesday 4 May 2016, marks the annual candlelight vigil to remember those who have died due to family violence.
(2) By lighting a candle we say that family violence is unacceptable in our community. We also recognise the strength and courage of the survivors.
(3) Tonight many people will gather on our Parliament House Lawns to commemorate those who have died, joining many others across Australia who will also come together to light candles and to remember.
(4) On average, one women is killed by their current or former partner each week. Already this year, we have seen a staggering 30 women killed as a result of violence against them.
(5) The simple truth is that there is never an excuse for violence, and the candlelight vigil highlights just how serious this issue is and how we must all stand together to break the silence so as to protect all women and children.
(6) The Hodgman Liberal Government is committed to bringing family violence out from behind closed doors, holding perpetrators to account and focussing on prevention and early intervention.
(7) Under Safe Homes, Safe Families, Tasmania’s Family Violence Action Plan, an additional $26 million has been committed to address family violence in Tasmania and provide support to those affected by family violence. . This is in on top of the $16 million in direct and $24 million in indirect funding the Tasmanian Government spends to address family violence each year.
(8) Together, we can help stop the cycle of family violence.