Notice of Motion – International Day of People with a Disability 2015
Minister for Human Services, the Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP
29 October, 2015
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
- Thursday 3 December is the 23rd anniversary of International Day of People with Disability, with the theme for 2015 being “Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities”.
- Celebrated annually, International Day of People with Disability plays an important role in promoting the inclusion of people with disability in all aspects of Australian life and encourages support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
- It is also a day to celebrate the many contributions people with disability make in our community.
- Businesses, clubs and individuals are encouraged to organise an event to celebrate the Day, with Event registrations for International Day of People with Disability now open, and events registered before 18 November will receive a promotional pack for their celebrations.
- To register an event or to get more information, please visit the International Day of People with Disability website www.idpwd.com.au, or call 1800 400 385.
- The National Disability Awards (the Awards) are also held each year as part of the International Day of People with Disability celebrations.
- The Awards aim to honour and recognise the outstanding achievements of individuals and organisations that have improved the lives of people with disability and thereby contributed to increased recognition of equality and human rights for all Australians.
- The Award categories celebrate and acknowledge people and organisations who demonstrate excellence, passion, vision and a commitment to assisting people with disability to achieve their goals.
- This year, the awards ceremony will be held at Parliament House in Canberra on 25 November.
- The finalists for the 2015 National Disability Awards includes the Wynyard Yacht Club Inc, Tasmania.
- We congratulate Wynyard Yacht Club for this achievement and wish them all the very best at the Awards.