Notice of Motion – THROW Nominations
Minister for Women, the Hon Jacquie Petrusma MP
24 May, 2016
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
(1) The Hodgman Liberal Government is committed to gender equality, with nominations now open for the Tasmanian Government’s 2017 Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women.
(2) Women make up nearly 51 per cent of Tasmania’s population and make an exceptional contribution to our community. It is therefore important that as a community, we recognise their efforts and celebrate their many achievements and untold stories.
(3) The women who have previously been inducted to the Honour Roll have made significant and long-lasting changes in their communities or in their professional environment.
(4) Previous inductees have included scientists, nurses, activists, artists, authors, business women and other hardworking professionals and community volunteers. They have given hope to others through their community or professional work, shaped public opinion and policy, or have led in their chosen industry or field.
(5) There are also many women’s organisations that have made outstanding contributions to their community and deserve recognition on the Honour Roll.
(6) Nominations will be accepted posthumously for individuals and from current and former organisations that are no longer operating.
(7) Nominations for the 2017 Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women close on 30 September 2016. The nominations will be assessed by an independent judging panel.
(8) Nomination forms and a full list of the former inductees are available on the Department of Premier and Cabinet’s website: www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions/cdd/for_and_about/women