Minister for Human Services
Notice of Motion – World Elder Abuse Awareness 2016
15 June 2016
Madam Speaker, I give notice that on tomorrow I shall move that this House notes that:
(1) The Hodgman Liberal Government is committed to upholding the rights of older Tasmanians to live without exploitation, abuse or fear.
(2) 15 June 2016 is the 11th anniversary of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2006.
(3) World Elder Abuse Awareness Day plays an important role in promoting respect and dignity for older people. It also provides an opportunity to recognise the vital contribution older people make towards the social and economic well-being of our community.
(4) In partnership with the Council on the Ageing and Advocacy Tasmania, we are working to raise community awareness, deliver information and training, and provide services to support and advocate for older persons.
(5) The Tasmanian State Government supports elder abuse prevention activities, including the Elder Abuse Prevention Strategy: Protecting Older Tasmanians from Abuse and the Elder Abuse Helpline.
(6) A number of community events will also be held around the State to mark World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, including a public awareness walk from St David’s Park at 3pm today.
(7) This Liberal Government believes that Elder abuse is not okay, is not acceptable and is not excusable.